Positive mental health is a state of well-being, of flourishing, of resilience, and of positivity. It is a desirable state for human beings to be productive, to feel good, and to live a meaningful life.
You can begin to practice positive mental health by embedding a few simple practices into your every day life. Begin with one or two…and focus on just those strategies for 21 days. Then notice what you notice. Slowly and steadily, as you begin to feel the positive benefits of each strategy, add more.
Each strategy that follows comes with a link to further reading, watching and exploring!
- Take a minute each day (or several minutes) to be quiet, connect to your breath, and be where you are. https://www.mindful.org/meditation/mindfulness-getting-started/
- Connect with people often; remember your brain is wired for it! http://lieberman.socialpsychology.org/
- Ask yourself, and others, ‘What’s Good?’. https://www.forbes.com/sites/amberjohnson-jimludema/2018/03/29/for-a-high-performing-team-ask-positive-questions/#cd8a8da1ddf3
- Touch yourself (pause and anchor positive experiences; otherwise you might walk right past them!). https://inlpcenter.org/nlp-anchoring/?cn-reloaded=1
- Move TOWARD what you want. https://www.td.org/insights/the-neuroscience-of-reward-and-threat
- Use an alignment strategy, like A.C.T., when you are beginning to experience distress (Accept your current reality, Choose a vision of what you want in that situation, Take action to move TOWARD your vision). https://www.derilatimer.com/act-a-mental-health-strategy-for-overcoming-obstacles/
- Choose to look at others as your ‘friend’ (‘with you’ rather than against you), and you’ll be happier, perform better, and live longer. https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/why-having-friends-at-work-will-make-you-a-better-employee.html
- Give positive feedback/express appreciation to people in your life. https://www.forbes.com/sites/chriscancialosi/2016/02/16/the-surprising-power-of-appreciation-at-work/#3a0026f74681
- Move your body to change how your feel (remember the Power Pose?). https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are/discussion
- Note three things for which you are grateful, every day. https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/gratitude-appreciation/
- Practice self-compassion: self-kindness vs self-judgement; mindfulness vs over-identification; common humanity vs isolation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11U0h0DPu7k
- Check out free programs online: I’ve recently learned about a coaching program aimed at increasing emotional resilience and ultimately, improve one’s own wellbeing. It’s powered by Coach Marlee, the world’s first artificially intelligent coach that is a culmination of over 20 years of research on human psychology and neuroscience. Check it out here to learn more: https://www.fingerprintforsuccess.com/coaching/wellbeing
Let me know how it’s going for you! Reach out. I’ve got more strategies, resources and information to share!
Deri Latimer is an expert in positive possibilities for people! A TEDx Speaker, Author, and Organizational consultant, Deri works with organizations who want to create happy and healthy workplaces for increased positivity, productivity and prosperity!