Yes, you read that correctly! Rewirement. What a cool word. And it’s potentially the newest description for that ‘next’ phase of life that many of us find ourselves talking and thinking about more often these days.
I loved it when I first heard it – from a colleague of mine as we shared a coffee last week. Rewirement. What does that word communicate to you?
To me, rewiring is all about continually moving toward creating the kind of life you want to live. It is about choosing thoughts that help you to experience your life to it’s fullest. (Of course, Rewirement can happen at any phase of life, not just when you are contemplating leaving the workforce.)
What thoughts can serve you well as you look ahead to the next phase of your life? Here are a few ideas to consider:
Thoughts about Yourself:
- I learn something new every day
- I like where I am in my life right now
- I can continue to contribute meaningfully to this world
Thoughts about Others:
- My family and friends value me as much as I value them
- Every person is doing the best they can in the present moment
- I enjoy learning something new from the people I connect with each and every day
Thoughts about Ageing:
- People can feel energized and engaged in life at any age
- We really are getting older AND getting better
- The lines on one’s face and body mark memories of the great life they have lived
Thoughts about Retirement:
- This is an exciting time in life
- It is possible to continue to be engaged in things that bring joy
- Retiring is not an ‘ending’, it is a new beginning
Rewirement is also about choosing behaviours that maximize your happiness and general well-being. Certainly choosing positive thoughts will help you to choose positive behaviours, but you can do this in the reverse order as well – choose positive behaviours and notice how your thinking (and feeling) changes.
For example, I just started 100 Happy Days (http://100happydays.com/) – an online platform to focus on happiness. Each day, for 100 days, you submit a photo to a social media platform of your choice (instagram, twitter, facebook, etc.) and use the hashtag #100happydays. Then, notice what happens. Just like the power of a gratitude journal, taking a picture and posting it online is an easy way to keep being mindful about what brings you happiness each day (and remind you that there are a lot of things that bring you happiness every day – you just need to focus on them). It’s really that simple. I’ve already noticed an upswing, and I am only on day #2!
So, what will you choose to think and to do today – to get ready for Rewirement?
7 Replies to “Are You Ready for ReWIREment?”
I love this Deri!! Again, lots tone mindful of! Thanks a bunch! Deb
Oh….. Suppose to be…..’ To be’…… Need to remember to ENLARGE!
AWESOME… I will be doing #100HAPPYDAYS and I’m challenging my kids to join me! Can’t wait to see what they come up with. LOVE IT!
Wonderful! I am doing mine on twitter – I’ll look forward to seeing yours!
Right on, Debbie! That is great!
Hi Deri, I am KK from Hong Kong. Yes, I find the ReWirement idea appealing and exciting as well. In fact, we have started a ReWirement Action Program in Hong Kong. You could find us at http://www.rewirement.com.hk
That is fabulous, KK!