Rebel With a Cause!
By the time I was 27, I lost two important men in my life: my father at age 45, and my husband of 8 months at age 27. My father died from extreme workplace stress. My new husband died by suicide.
Work should not kill people. And, neither should mental distress. I have spent my career (my life, really) inspiring and energizing people to engage in positive mental health practices for greater happiness, more success, and a longer life.
When I experienced a triggered trauma in 2020, it sent me on a downward spiral, one filled with excruciating anxiety and an inability to function. It was so horrific and immobilizing, that – when I recovered – I decided to share my story. ‘Not Crazy, Just Human: Moving Through Trauma to Healing’ is a detailed account of what I experienced and what I learned. As with my other books ‘Wake Up to Your Habits’ and ‘What’s Your Story? You Decide’, it is filled with strategies to maintain a resilient and resourceful approach to life!
I have an amazing spouse, two joyful children (now young adults), tons of family, friends, and professional clients that I value highly. I want to turn the negativity associated with the term mental health into a positive, hopeful message that makes it attractive and achievable for everyone!
Continuously Learning and Growing
- One of fewer than 15% of speakers globally who hold the designation of CSP (Certified Speaking Professional), the international measure of excellence for professional competence, proven experience, and optimal client satisfaction
- A Business Degree in Human Resource Management with 25 years of experience engaging audiences across every business sector
- Certified in Emotional Intelligence, Psychometric Assessment, and Neuro-Linguistic Programming
- A popular instructor in the University of Winnipeg’s Management Studies Program for over 15 years, designing full-credit courses and seminars in Resilience, Positive Psychology, Team Building, and Leadership Development
- TEDx Speaker: “Choose Life”
- Author of 3 books
- Organizational Consultant: People & Culture
Rebel Values To Live By
Showing up whole and complete. What you see is what you get. Being an open book for others. Not holding anything back. Sharing things as they are. Being vulnerable and raw.
Being a human and extending kindness towards others. Accepting each other for who we are without judgment. Learning how to open a conversation with a caring approach.
Pleasantly surprising people
Standing out as different from ‘the norm.’ Offering something that’s original, unique, unexpected, unusual. As a result, it wakes up people’s brains and their attention are more engaged.
Feeling uplifted and ready to learn
Providing and inspiring energy that’s central to engagement, retention, attention, and what’s possible for people to learn. Creating a joy-filled experience with lots of fun and laughter.
Being self-reliant, knowing that you can navigate through any challenge. Learning daily practices that will change your approach to adversity while you continue to thrive and grow.
I’m on a mission to create
a happier and more
Walking the Talk
- Providing a practicum experience for a 4th year psychology student interested in professional speaking as a career through Central Mennonite University.
- Supporting a Foster Parent Program that included leading a session on ‘Building Resilience’, through Child and Family Services.
- Partnering with the Canadian Mental Health Association to provide a portion of book sales to support ongoing research, education, and support for families; in addition to providing professional speaking services to the CMHA.
- Contributing time (Keynote Speaking) and financial resources to HMC Sharing Circle Endowment Fund through the Winnipeg Foundation, to assist in ending Domestic Violence.
- Donating a portion of book sales to Jack.org and Not Myself Today in support of de-stigmatizing mental illness, and inspiring positive mental health.